Eating healthy doesn’t have to mean taking out a mortgage to pay for it.
I’m going to share super simple tuna snacks, made with tinned tuna. You can get tuna from $0.80 in Australia (probably even cheaper too) and with some other simple ingredients you have a nutritious snack or meal.
1. Tuna + Avocado on Rice Cakes or Corn Thins
This is great for anytime of the day; breakfast (my favourite as a post-workout brekie), lunch or an afternoon snack. I use John West Tuna Slices in Olive Oil (pictured) or Coles Tuna in Olive Oil. Slice some avocado, add to rice cakes or corn thins. Smash it up a little first if you like with a fork, or keep it as slices. Top with Tuna. Simple as that.
2. Tuna Pasta Salad
Ingredients (for a single serving):
- 95g tin of tuna with tomato & onion or springwater (drained)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup penne pasta (cooked)
- 4 baby bocconcini (halved)
- 6 black olives
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
How to make it:
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain
- Toss with Tuna
- In a separate bowl combine baby spinach, olives & baby bocconcini
- Add pasta & tuna to the spinach combo, drizzle over oil and balsamic vinegar. Combine & serve!
Recipe credit: Sirena Tuna
3. Tuna Brushetta
How to make it:
- Brush slices of ciabatta bread or french stick with olive oil
- Grill until golden
- Combine crushed garlic, flaked tuna, finely diced tomato, chopped basil, lemon zest and baby capers. Season with pepper
- Spoon onto ciabatta and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
Recipe credit: Taste website
Share with us your favourite recipes for tinned tuna by commenting below.